Living up to the motto, "Technology. Compassion. Community.", Decatur General has always existed with its surrounding community in mind. Established by the Ladies Benevolent Society as the Benevolent Society Hospital in 1915, the Hospital has grown to become a 273-bed, not-for-profit, acute-care hospital located in Southeast Decatur, Alabama.
The 220-member medical staff at Decatur General represents 28 medical specialties. Accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Decatur General meets nationally recognized standards for quality patient care and is a member of Voluntary Hospitals of America, the largest network of not-for-profit hospitals in the United States.
Our Mission: Decatur General is committed to meeting the health and wellness needs of those we serve through compassionate care, innovation and medical excellence. This commitment is supported by service, technology and a dedication to continuous quality improvement.